Topic: How best to implement a hash table in Mathematica
Replies: 15   Last Post: Feb 24, 2012 1:00 AM

Joseph Gwinn

Re: How best to implement a hash table in Mathematica

In article <jhqmsq$fbt$1@smc.vnet.net>,
Richard Fateman <fateman@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On 2/18/2012 3:28 AM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> > I have an application that resembles dictionary lookup, with significant
> > rates of collision.

> Mathematica presumably already uses hashing for storage of stuff like
>
> f[{a,b,c}] = value1
> f[{1,2,c}] = value2
>
> etc.
>
> Initializing a hashtable with 10^4 (identical?) empty keys makes no
> sense. Did I misunderstand your message?

No, you understood correctly. Please see my response to David Bailey
for the rationale.

Joe Gwinn