Topic: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Replies: 59   Last Post: Feb 24, 2012 7:12 AM

Richard Tobin

Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers

In article <513f89be-feb4-4e36-8210-8f2130314b70@x19g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Michael Ejercito <mejercit@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Though this has the usual problem with multiple representations.  For
>> example, both 0.1 and 0.00909090... map to (0.1, 0).

> That is correct. This would imply that each complex number maps
>onto MULTIPLE real numbers, and certainly the reals can not have a
>GREATER cardinality than the complexes.

Given a surjection both ways, the dual Schroder Bernstein theorem
shows that there is a bijection. This however relies on the axiom
of choice.

If we take the interleaved digits as a base-11 number we have an injection
both ways, and standard Schroder Bernstein gives us a bijection.

-- Richard

Date Subject Author
2/19/12
Read Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Michael Ejercito
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
William Elliot
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers?
Virgil
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers?
Butch Malahide
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers?
Virgil
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers?
David C. Ullrich
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers?
Virgil
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers?
David C. Ullrich
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Pubkeybreaker
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
The Perturbator
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Pubkeybreaker
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Richard Tobin
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Michael Ejercito
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Kaba
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Kaba
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Kaba
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Tim Little
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Richard Tobin
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Virgil
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
David R Tribble
2/19/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Michael Ejercito
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
jbriggs444@gmail.com
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
David Yen
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
David Yen
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
David Yen
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/21/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
jbriggs444@gmail.com
2/21/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/23/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
jbriggs444@gmail.com
2/24/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/24/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
jbriggs444@gmail.com
2/24/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/22/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Tim Little
2/22/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/20/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/21/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
G. A. Edgar
2/21/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Peter Webb
2/22/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Tommy Jensen
2/23/12
Read Re: Bijection Between Complex Numbers and Real Numbers
Dan Cass
2/23/12
[...]
trj
2/23/12