The Math Forum

Topic: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Replies: 109   Last Post: Feb 28, 2012 7:38 PM

oriel36

Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)

On Feb 23, 4:41 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/23/12 4:19 AM, oriel36 (who is astronomically illiterate) wrote:
>

> > Any star crosses a person's meridian 1461 times in 1461 days and the
> > Egyptians used the orbital emergence of Sirius from behind the Sun as
> > a gauge for the balance between days and years,or in modern
> > terms,rotations and orbital circuits

>    Bzzzt! Wrong again, Gerald. Any visible star crosses one's local
>    meridian at least once *every* sidereal day. Fifth graders can
>    show you how to measure that,
>
>    Circumpolar stars cross one's local meridian twice each sidereal
>    day.

I assure you,within a 24 hour period and one rotation of the Earth a
star will cross a person's meridian 1461 times in 1461 days unless you
truly wish to believe that the alternative 366 day period from
March1st 2011 until February 29th 2012 has significance in orbital
terms .

A calmer mind would understand why Sirius acted as an orbital marker
for the Egyptians as its orbital (heliacal) rising coincided with the
flooding of the Nile.The extra day/rotation which follows 4
consecutive 365 day cycles is meant to indicate to reasonable people
that daily and orbital motions are separate and the extra rotation of
February 29th was the way the Egyptians formatted the 1461 day/4 year
calendar cycle into a continuous stream of days,in dynamical terms it
allows the orbital cycle of 365 1/4 days to drift through March 1st in
non leap years and the 1/4 rotation's worth of orbital motion omitted
each non leap year is picked up by the February 29th rotation.A
society watching the appearance of a star so closely as Sirius was
watched by the Egyptians and many other societies would have noticed
that it heliacal rising did not happen after a continuous stream of
365 days nor did the flooding of the Nile but adding an extra day kept
the flooding of the Nile fixed to the day when it was expected and to
the same point in the seasons.

If you insist on an imbalance of 1465 rotations in 1461 days you are
certainly going to lose the reasoning of the Egyptians in using the
star's disappearance and its re-appearance as an orbital event when
the orbital motion of the Earth places it behind the glare of the
central Sun.The Egyptians actually tell you that they link the number
of days to the helical rising of Sirius so it can only happen 1461
times for 4 orbital circuits -

"on account of the precession of the rising of the Divine Sothis
(Sirius) by one day in the course of 4 years, and other festivals
celebrated in the summer, in this country, shall not be celebrated in
winter, as has occasionally occurred in past times, therefore it shall
be, that the year of 360 days and the 5 days added to their end, so
one day as feast of Benevolent Gods [the pharaoh and family] be from
this day after every 4 years added to the 5 epagomenae before the New
Year, whereby all men shall learn, that what was a little defective in
the order as regards the seasons and the year, as also the opinions
which are contained in the rules of the learned on the heavenly
orbits, are now corrected and improved" Canopus Decree

Is the reasoning of the Egyptians and the present 1461 day calendar
format so repulsive that you are willing to ignore that when Sirius
disappears and appears it is due to the orbital motion of the Earth ?

Date Subject Author
2/13/12
Read Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Koobee Wublee
2/13/12
Read the Twins <shrug>'d
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/14/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Dirk Van de moortel
2/14/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/18/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
microm2011@hotmail.com
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Hayek
2/17/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/18/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Koobee Wublee
2/18/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/20/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
PD
2/20/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Koobee Wublee
2/20/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Hayek
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Dono
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Androcles
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Hayek
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
microm2011@hotmail.com
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Hayek
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
microm2011@hotmail.com
2/22/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Henry Wilson DSc
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Hayek
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/19/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
pnalsing@gmail.com
2/20/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Androcles
2/20/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/20/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/20/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/20/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/21/12
[...]
Michael Moroney
2/22/12
[...]
2/23/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/23/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/23/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/23/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/23/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/23/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Chris.B
2/23/12
[...]
2/24/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/24/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/24/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/24/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/24/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/25/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/25/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/25/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/23/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
oriel36
2/22/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
cwldoc
2/22/12
[...]
Daryl McCullough
2/23/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
jsavard@ecn.ab.ca
2/23/12
[...]
Peter Webb
2/26/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Henry Wilson DSc
2/25/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Sam Wormley
2/26/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Henry Wilson DSc
2/28/12
Read Re: Dingle and the Twins' Paradox (Tom and Paul Andersen are wrong)
Roger Onslow
2/28/12