Topic: Terrible algebraic system
Replies: 18   Last Post: Mar 8, 2012 4:26 AM

Robert Lewis

Re: Terrible algebraic system

On Feb 22, 9:10 am, deltaquat...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> couldn't solve this with Wolfram Alpha, Matlab or Maxima:
> (a-L)^2/a*2/(a+b)-p=0
> (b-U)^2/b*2/(a+b)-p=0
> with a>L>0, b>U>0. Any tips? Should I resort to numerical methods?
> Best Regards
> Sergio Rossi

This is very easy to solve with the Dixon resultant, eliminating b.
(It's a very small system, so I'm sure lots of elimination techniques
would work.)

The resultant for a is:

If you'd like, I could easily find the resultant for b.

Robert H. Lewis
Fordham University