Topic: Please critique my scheme for re-weighting source data
Replies: 7   Last Post: May 27, 2012 11:57 AM

RGVickson@shaw.ca

Re: Please critique my scheme for re-weighting source data

On Feb 23, 11:20 am, Jennifer Murphy <JenMur...@jm.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:56:58 -0500, Rich Ulrich
>
> <rich.ulr...@comcast.net> wrote:

> >You give no hint, that I notice, of what it is that you
> >are trying to accomplish.

> >For most purposes of inference that come to my mind,
> >the extreme cases -- the ones that you seem to propose
> >to drop -- are the most informative and most interesting.
> >So I conclude that your interests are probably the opposite
> >(in some fashion) from what my naive interests would be.

> >I repeat-- What are you trying to do?
>
> I am trying to calculate for each word the relative likeliness that it
> would be encountered by an average well-educated person in their daily
> activities: reading the paper, listening to the news, attending classes,
> talking to other people, reading books, etc.
>
> The raw scores that I have already do that, but I question the
> weighting.I do not think that the average person encounters the types of
> words typically found in academic journals at the same frequency as they
> would those found in newspapers or magazines. Therefore, I want to
> re-weight the five sources to reflect a more average experience.

The "average" well-educated person will never read an academic
journal. Whether or not a well-educated person will read a novel (or
fiction in general) will depend strongly on whether that person is
male or female.

RGV