The Math Forum

Topic: What If...
Replies: 10   Last Post: Feb 28, 2012 5:43 PM

kirby urner

Re: What If...

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> I hear what you're saying, this is a republic of states and all that. However, they did all line up behind NCLB with some enthusiasm and now CCSS. You don't think that if a couple states adopted this and were successful (how could you not be successful) then the other states would soon follow suit?

Did NCLB produce much positive impact?

I hung a couple ornaments on that tree: the NCLB Polynomial and NCLB
Polyhedron.

This was actually looking ahead to the standards movement in some way.
I was trying to bring in a more informed approach to matters
geometric with better dot connection.

The NCLB Polynomial solves to Phi, -1/Phi for its roots and the NCLB
Poly has diamond phases with diagonals ratioed Phi:1.

>>> from math import sqrt as rt2
>>> phi = (1 + rt2(5))/2
>>> phi

1.618033988749895
>>> def nclbpoly(x): # see plaintext view for indented version
"""
a:1 == 1:(a+1)
a**2 - a - 1 == 0

"""
return x**2 - x - 1

>>> nclbpoly(phi)
0.0
>>> ntau = (1 - rt2(5))/2
>>> ntau

- -0.6180339887498949
>>> nclbpoly(ntau)
0.0

The above rendering in Python demonstrates how an Oregonian would be
learning this NCLB stuff. I've been filing this stuff since NCLB
started making sure I'd have plenty of exhibits for the World Game
museum of my leadership in this regard. I'm not trying to start a
cult of personality though, as I already have Bucky and other heroes
(like Smedley Butler) whom we can admire as great Americans and world
people ("estians" as they were called in that novel).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Est:_The_Steersman_Handbook

The above was futuristic then and is futuristic now, although I did
manage to run quite a few adults and younger through some pilots.
We've made some strides in getting Python into the schools, perhaps
more in the UK than the US. South Africa is ahead of the UK and that
may hurt the national pride, whereas the UK just assumes its ahead of
the US at the K-12 level.

Europeans in general look down on US K-12 with mixed feelings of pity
and smugness. Higher education used to balance that perception and
still does to some degree, but in the high tech world if you really
want to know the stuff you're probably better off in the private
sector. The military doesn't use state of the art either, which is
probably just as well.

> It wouldn't happen overnight. This abuse has gone on for so long that it is all that the abused (and the abusers) know. Like the abused spouse that has been conditioned to deserve her beatings and will not leave, even when given the option, these kids have been conditioned to deserve their own beatings.

My work with recruits or potential recruits involves pointing out how
they've been deprived of their heritage. That bad news is they've
been duped and dumbed down (it's hard to see yourself as "left behind"
as we show them to themselves in some teacher trainings -- some
whining or barfing may occur). The good news is we caught it in time,
most likely.

> One might think that this would be something good for edu-psychologists to do. They can reacclimate the abused (and abuser) to a world without the abuse. But I dare say, that sounds too much like freeing victims of a concentration camp and putting them into the care of the camp doctors.

Partly what scares anyone is monopolistic one size fits all
"solutions" (so-called "final solutions" in some cultures e.g. Third
Reich).

The idea of states as laboratories is a good one and even if something
works in State A, we're not all carbon copies of one another. There's
this myth that if a plant grows and thrives in Ecosystem A that it
should be a simple matter to transplant it to Ecosystem B.

As a measure of regional differences, lets consider the Occupy camps
and compare them (a research project, empirical, ala Tufte).

Portland's well organized camp was set up by experienced campers with
Rainbow Gathering heritage. We had community leaders such as Tre
Arrow helping us set up facilities.

Yes, we had out of staters e.g. Miz Melody (Texas stats major,
sometime dancer), Lindsey (Florida computer science / para-military),
but they'd been training in SE under FNB so were already "battle hard"
in that way, used to the outdoors and prepared with the right gear,
plenty of people skills (both ended up living full time in the camp).

I used the opportunity to recruit for GSM / RadMath / Wanderers and
made a few friendships. OPDX has played a planning role ever since,
with a focus on FNB partly from gratitude, even the the main food tent
ended up serving non-vegan and with a lot more trash than FNB
tolerates -- we moved to Camp B and set up our own smaller tent with
sporadic servings (I crewed a few times, plus tried to keep up the
service at our regular venue at Colonel Summers **).

All of this comparing of notes and exchanging of info was helpful to
Quakers (I wasn't the only connect; Josh played a big role at the
medical tent, used to fly in and out of Gitmo).

Tre is now running for Mayor. I was hoping to get Multnomah Friends
to help sponsor his blurb in the voter's pamphlet but may have made a
mistake in asking for the request in writing. He has no real staff I
don't think. Any paperwork just slows him down. The point is not
that he win (anymore than I win for president) but that we continue
our training and organization (OPDX).

Photo gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/6218466985/in/set-72157627710609369
(Tre Arrow at Occupy Portland -- claiming the space)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/6261544025/in/set-72157627710609369
(tightly organized camp)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/6497556595/in/set-72157627710609369
(involved Friend -- another Princeton grad like me)

> I read though this...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_psychology
>
> and it sure looks like a lot of human experimentation, and I don't mean the good kind. The camp doctors would need to go.
>
> I accept Haim's proposal of DOSE first then DOVE. We didn't liberate the (few) survivors of the concentration camps at the beginning of the war, it (sadly) happened at the end.
>
> What a very nasty business education became in this country. The result of apathy I suppose.
>
> Bob Hansen

The way I see it, two generations of USAer with very little real
education has led to an explosion in obesity and diabetes along with
addiction to fictional TV shows and sitcoms.

The average USAer has no grounded sense of the real world and is easy
to prod and bully, take advantage off, rip off. They were herded into
war by cynical neocons and spent a decade in thralldom, and then, on
the day they finally extract themselves from that morass, the drum
beat has started again vis-a-vis a defiant state that says we should
have no nuclear weapons.

There is to be no relief from perpetual war is the message.

You can get away with that message when the people are this
undefended, this credulous. There's no effective military to speak of
(in terms of doing its job, protecting the Constitution), just
privatized plutocratic security firms, part of a global industry that
preys on the sickly (many in Congress).

USAers are helpless and defenseless, rendered so by lack of any real
education or serious DIY life skills (such trainings as FNB's are hard
to come by -- girl scouts may be closest).

That level of decrepitude and depravity leads to a lot of melancholia
(depression) and drug addiction and the situation described here:

"""
Little did they imagine that by 2013, almost every American would be
"on something" (especially the soldiers, as prescribed by their
doctors), even as they trashed forests and fields around the world
trying to stomp out the most valuable opiate / pain-killers known to
man, or control it themselves. They demanded drugs, they slaughtered
those who sold them drugs. Such schizophrenia had not been seen since
the Civil War and the entire world paid the price.
"""

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7664892&tstart=0

Kirby

** I've been trying to open up the listserv / archive about all this
to public view so that students of Occupy have more insight into the
inner circle workings. This is part of their history and heritage by
this time. Would that the USG think the same way, we wouldn't need
Wikileaks.