Topic: Mental Reflexes
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 26, 2012 10:00 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Mental Reflexes

In this last post I talked about speed and to clarify I am really talking about cognitive processes that take virtually no time at all (speed is essentially infinite). The basis of these processes is instinct.

For example, when Kasparov played Deep Blue in 1997, the results of the match was Kasparov 1, Deep Blue 2 and 3 draws. Deep Blue was able to look at 200 million moves a second while Kasparov could look at maybe 3 in the same amount of time, yet Kasparov managed to beat Deep Blue once and draw 3 times.

In "plodding" time, Deep Blue was roughly 100 million times faster than Kasparov, but Kasparov was still able to hold his own because of instincts. It is these instincts that need to be developed as you move deeper into artful subjects. Plodding will not suffice. In fact, even moderate problems in algebra will not succumb to (human) plodding because there are simply too many permutations to cover. In human time it would take an infinity to solve the problem. In each second of thought, Kasparov's instincts allowed him to reduce 200,000,000 possible moves to 3.

Bob Hansen