Topic: Cool Math Lessons
Replies: 42   Last Post: Mar 9, 2012 2:08 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: Cool Math Lessons

Ken Abbott wrote:

> Here's the lesson for Equations
> http://www.cool-math-lessons.com/2012/02/equations.html

What follows is taken from near the beginning:

* Consider this problem: "what number when added to 5,
* gives the result 20".
*
* Instead of a sentence, this problem can be written
* much shorter and clearer as an equation like this..
*
* 5 + x = 20
*
* where x denotes the number we are trying to find.

My experience suggests that it is a good idea to
spend a little time at the beginning showing how
to translate from the verbal form to the algebraic
form, such as:

What number

what number when added to 5

x + 5

what number when added to 5, gives the result 20

x + 5 = 20

It is also probably better to rephrase the question
in order that it lends itself better to an expansion
in this way, such as:

I am thinking of a number. I add 5 to the number.
After adding 5, I get the number 20. What is the
number I was thinking of?

Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
2/25/12