Replies: 4   Last Post: Mar 1, 2012 1:00 PM

Kevin G. Nunn

Re: [ap-stat] Homemade Dice (Inference for Means)

I usually save this activity for comparing two means rather than for a single-mean activity.  However, this is the one I use:

For reference, an "averaging" die is a special die designed to stay close to the mean.  Its faces are 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5.

To demonstrate mu1 not equal to mu 2, I created modified averaging dice with the following faces:

Die 1:   3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6            Die 1 has mu = 4.5 and sigma = .9574

Die 2:   1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4            Die 2 has mu = 2.5 and sigma = .9574

Randomly assign the class
into groups of 3 or 4.  Have half of the groups collect and graph data
for die 1 while the other half collect and graph data for die 2.  Then
swap dice and repeat.

Bring the class back together to compare.

With a sample size of 20 rolls on each die, you will
have mu1 - mu2 = 2 and an overall spread = .3028, so roughly 98.8% of
groups will reject the null hypothesis at the alpha = .05 level.

You can get great dice--in a variety of colors--for this purpose from indentedblankdice.com.  Either stick stickered numbers into the indentions or write directly directly on them with a Sharpie.  They last forever. :)

Helpfully,Kevin G. Nunn