Topic: Engineering requests
Replies: 14   Last Post: Mar 14, 2012 1:38 AM

David Bailey

Re: Engineering requests

On 02/03/2012 12:49, McHale, Paul wrote:
> So, here are some problems we face, but don't have great answers for in Mathematica.
>
> 1. Dimensional analysis. To do this, we must have unit support. The best description of this is the ability to calculate (V/R)^2 R and have it return a unit of watts. Other programs handily support this (though they are sorely lacking in other places :))

Have you explored the Units` package?
> 2. Tolerances support. One difficulty we have is determining the min/max at a certain point in a circuit even if the circuit is not complicated to model. I use lists {Rmax,Rmin} and Table. Works, but is a little clumsy.

Look up Interval in the help system.
> 3. More efficient writing of documents. Much easier ability to minimize code segments that offer little to the non-Mathematica user. Could be just a click in the left side column. Code closing only please. People will read the text box explanation and view the results below as with most text books.
>
> 4. Toolbox/palette support/ code insertion. This is getting better. Much better.

Remember that you can construct your own palettes linked to arbitrary
code of your own, which can cut/paste whatever you require.

> 5. ITAR deployment with PlayerPro. I need to share my work in an ITAR environment. This is essential. ITAR violations can result in fines that are in the millions and millions of dollars. PlayerPro is synonymous in functionality to the .Net library. I need it to deploy my "applications". $200 is acceptable. I just need a way to "compile" to PlayerPro without external resources.
>
> 6. ListFFT[]. This is an unusual request. 99% of the data we engineers deal with is evenly spaced sample data. Most of the FFT activity I have ever seen involves getting the FFT from a list of data and plotting Real[]. Simplified, I know. Since most of our data is in the form {{t1, sample1},{t2, sample2},{t3, sample3}} the time information is embedded. In fact, all information is available to perform an FFT. Just saying it makes life easier. Could offer options like Results->{Real, Imaginary, Both}

If the data is definitely evenly spaced in time, why not write a
function that splits out the second dimension as in mylist[[All,2]], and
performs a Fourier Transform?
> 7. The most compact document would be the familiar whiteboard. It would be cool to see a version with this mode of document. Workbench is a step in the other direction. Mathematica white board document would require no learning if it had palettes. I say this because the engineers have access to another (significantly lesser) product and are eating it up.
Because typeset expressions can be embedded in graphics, it might be
fairly easy to build what you have in mind - but it would need a better
specification!

> Just some thoughts. If other engineers are reading this, chime in if you don't mind. I can't believe how much Mathematica has helped. Seriously hard problems were successfully achieved and conveyed to a very stringent customer in record time. Nothing else would have worked.
>
> BTW, they are finally buying me my own copy so I don't have to use my personal copy anymore. This is after buying everyone else seats of other software.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk