The Math Forum

Topic: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Replies: 266   Last Post: Mar 19, 2012 9:13 AM

FredJeffries@gmail.com

Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math

On Mar 12, 9:13 am, Transfer Principle <david.l.wal...@lausd.net>
wrote:
> On Mar 12, 6:59 am, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>

> > FredJeffries wrote:

> > > John Mayberry
> > I once attended lectures by this man on the con(ZF) -> con(ZFC), con(ZF)
> > -> con(ZF + GCH) results.  He expressed no misgivings about omega the
> > set.

> And so, I wonder in what sense is Mayberry really a "finitist"?

Obviously not by your criterion of an inflexible, dogmatic belief
which damns anyone who disagrees, but see:

"Finitary Arithmetic as the Theory of Finite Sets"
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.104.5483&rep=rep1&type=pdf

"Natural Number Arithmetic in the Theory of Finite Sets"
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0711.2922.pdf

"The Foundations of Mathematics in the Theory of Sets"
http://books.google.com/books?id=mP1ofko7p6IC
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/philosophy/department/staff/jpm/list.html

Date Subject Author
3/7/12
Read Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/7/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
adamk
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Brian Chandler
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Richard Tobin
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
amzoti
3/9/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
micky
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Frederick Williams
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/8/12
[...]
3/10/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Frederick Williams
3/10/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/10/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/10/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Jerry Friedman
3/10/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Don Phillipson
3/10/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Harrison Hill
3/12/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Tom P
3/12/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/12/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Prai Jei
3/12/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/12/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Peter Moylan
3/12/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/13/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Rotwang
3/13/12
[...]
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Rotwang
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Horand.Gassmann@googlemail.com
3/14/12
[...]
3/15/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Jussi Piitulainen
3/15/12
[...]
3/16/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Rotwang
3/16/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Rotwang
3/16/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/16/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/16/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/17/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/17/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Daryl McCullough
3/16/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/16/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/13/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Prai Jei
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Transfer Principle
3/15/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
FredJeffries@gmail.com
3/15/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Transfer Principle
3/15/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Daryl McCullough
3/16/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/12/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Stan Brown
3/13/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
R H Draney
3/13/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/13/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Daryl McCullough
3/13/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Snidely
3/13/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Jerry Friedman
3/13/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Lanarcam
3/13/12
[...]
Michael Stemper
3/17/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Peter Moylan
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Michael Stemper
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/14/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Tim Little
3/13/12
[...]
Jim Burns
3/14/12
[...]
Virgil
3/15/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Rotwang
3/16/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
quasi
3/16/12
[...]
3/11/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
DavidW
3/12/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
bogus address
3/9/12
[...]
ma'ayan peres
3/11/12
[...]
Pubkeybreaker
3/12/12
[...]
Jesse F. Hughes
3/9/12
[...]
3/19/12
[...]
Pfsszxt@aol.com
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Dirk Van de moortel
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/8/12
Read Re: Warning to visitors to sci.math
David C. Ullrich
3/8/12