Topic: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Replies: 43   Last Post: Mar 20, 2012 5:22 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> Even if we use your standard Paul, AP is broken.

BS. You argue that because the distribution of the nationwide passing
rate is not evenly distributed, then it's broken. One whale of a
fallacious argument.

> You can see why I am not that thrilled about expanding the AP program (as it is).

The alternative is what?

> Haim said it awhile ago. Start giving students the grade they earned.

This is the alternative?

One might as well say that, as "the answer" to ever increasing obesity
rates, everyone should stop overeating and expect that to happen as if
by magic.

Wayne is right. External assessments, warts and all, is the only way
to have any hope of getting a handle on grade inflation.

Giving up on external assessment is to give up all hope.

And there needs to be more external assessments that are national.
Otherwise, there is no way to keep grade inflation in terms of states
padding their own tests, which is happening more and more because
we've let the states do it in terms of the NCLB testing.

In other words, "external" means "nonlocal", where the most local
testing is in the classroom, then less local is school-wide testing,
then district testing, then state testing, then national testing. At
the level of a nation, the various national tests, warts and all, are
the best thing going to see what's actually happening.

The AP program is showing that more and more are enrolling in classes
at advanced levels and becoming educated well at advanced levels, even
though it is at the cost of more and more enrolling in these classes
that they should not be taking. Perhaps there be should be some
mechanism to discourage those who should not be taking these classes
from taking them, to keep the nationwide passing rates from becoming
ever lower without end. But to throw the baby out with the bathwater
is a bad idea.

Date Subject Author
3/13/12
Read Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Jerry P. Becker
3/13/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/14/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes
testing
Wayne Bishop
3/14/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/14/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/14/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/14/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/16/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/16/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/16/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/17/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/17/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/17/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/17/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/17/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/17/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/18/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/18/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/18/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/18/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/16/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes
testing
Wayne Bishop
3/16/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Haim
3/17/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Haim
3/17/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/18/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/18/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/18/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/18/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/19/12
[...]
3/20/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/19/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Robert Hansen
3/20/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Haim
3/20/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Paul A. Tanner III
3/20/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Haim
3/20/12
Read Re: Clear Creek TX sch. board resolution vs. high-stakes testing
Gary Tupper
3/20/12