Topic: Hilbert on the infinite
Replies: 41   Last Post: Mar 23, 2012 8:54 AM

Peter Brooks

Re: Hilbert on the infinite

On Mar 18, 3:03 pm, David C. Ullrich <ullr...@math.okstate.edu> wrote:

> There's nothing less than skillful in that address. He
> said exactly what he wanted to say, very clearly,
> and in a very memorable way. Problems arise
> if the reader insists on taking obvious hyperbole
> literlly, but that indicates more a linguisitic problem
> with the reader than with the writer.

Could be. I still doubt that Hilbert was attempting 'obvious
hyperbole'. You're welcome to believe that, but the article doesn't
seem, to me, to support it. I would, too, expect a mathematician,
addressing a mathematical society to put things rather differently
from, say, a farmer, or the politican you mention, addressing some
rabble. But that's just me.

> Me, the Gettsburg address has always bugged me.
> How Lincoln got a reputation as a great speaker
> I'll never understand:

I wondered a bit about that too, not that I've had it raised to me as
much of an example of anything.

Date Subject Author
3/17/12
Read Re: Hilbert on the infinite
[...]
[...]