The Math Forum

Topic: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Replies: 50   Last Post: May 11, 2012 7:54 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity

Further my post of Mar 24, 2012 8:07 AM:
> Further my earlier posts on this very important topic
> of INTELLECTUAL INTEGRITY (for raising which I once
> again render my heartfelt thanks to Haim), I Googled
> for the phrase "INTELLECTUAL INTEGRITY IN
> MATHEMATICS", as this is probably particularly close
> to all our hearts and minds.

<SNIP>
> At another of the (Foundation's) pages
> (http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/valuable-intell
> ectual-traits/528), they have identified the
> following intellectual traits as being of particular
> relevance and value:
>
> - -- Intellectual Humility
> - -- Intellectual Courage
> - -- Intellectual Empathy
> - -- Intellectual Integrity
> - -- Intellectual Perseverance
> - -- Faith In Reason
> - -- Fairmindedness

I thought it would be a useful exercise to grade myself on the Intellectual Traits the Foundation believes to be of importance - the following are the grades I gave myself:
INTELLECTUAL TRAIT (GSC's SCORE)
==============
- -- Intellectual Humility (4/10)
- -- Intellectual Courage (6 or 7/10)
- -- Intellectual Empathy (5 or 6/10)
- -- Intellectual Integrity (8/10)
- -- Intellectual Perseverance (9/10)
- -- Faith In Reason (8/10)
- -- Fairmindedness (9/10)

Of course, the above is only my own assessment of myself - and is therefore subject to my personal bias. I would like to learn the assessments that people who know me may give me on the above traits to find out the reality: putting it all together may provide some worthwhile insights.

I claim that a sizable bit of the credit for the high scores I give myself on some of the above traits must go to my consistent, systematic and regular practice of OPMS in all that I do. (Before I started using OPMS, I believe I would have scored much lower on all the above traits).

I would be most happy to find out the self-assessments for the above traits of others at Math-Teach.

As always, I expecially seek the valued opinions of Haim, Wayne Bishop, Robert Hansen and other members of the 'Math-Teach Family' on my above thoughts.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")

Date Subject Author
3/20/12
Read Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Haim
3/20/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Robert Hansen
3/21/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
kirby urner
3/21/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Paul A. Tanner III
3/21/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Paul A. Tanner III
3/21/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Haim
3/22/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
GS Chandy
3/22/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Haim
3/23/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Paul A. Tanner III
3/23/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Haim
3/23/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Paul A. Tanner III
3/23/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
GS Chandy
3/23/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
israeliteknight
3/23/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Paul A. Tanner III
3/24/12
[...]
3/25/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
GS Chandy
3/25/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Robert Hansen
3/25/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
GS Chandy
3/25/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
GS Chandy
3/25/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
israeliteknight
3/25/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
israeliteknight
3/26/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Haim
3/26/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Paul A. Tanner III
3/26/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Haim
3/27/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Paul A. Tanner III
3/27/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Haim
3/27/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
israeliteknight
3/28/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
israeliteknight
4/1/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
israeliteknight
4/1/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Paul A. Tanner III
4/1/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
israeliteknight
4/16/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
israeliteknight
4/16/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Paul A. Tanner III
4/17/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
Gary Tupper
4/19/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
israeliteknight
4/23/12
Read Re: Appeal For Intellectual Integrity
GS Chandy
5/11/12