Topic: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Mar 28, 2012 4:52 PM

kirby urner

Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Clyde Greeno @ MALEI <greeno@malei.org> wrote:

<< snip >>

> It does seem that the richer the mathematics teachers' knowledge within and
> about the mathematical arts ... and within and about the psychology of
> mathematical comprehension ... the better they are at making curricular
> mathematics common-sensible to students.  For sure, there are countries
> whose teachers ... in the norm ... are better educated in both of those
> areas.

Lets consider an analogy. I just came back from an intensively
mathematical conference in that professionals from many walks of life
converged to discuss symbolic manipulation and modeling. We had
astronomer types (NASA), publishers, linguists, cartographers (ESRI),
and quite a few robotics folks. We flew in from all over the world,
which accounts for the nickname of "flying circus" although there's a
Monty Python angle as well.

Some of the smartest people there, like Tatia, had pretty thick
accents when speaking English. She's from Brazil. Lots of British
accents as well. Our chairman (foundation) was from Manchester.

This is a picture of a well educated, mathematically well endowed
cross-section of the world's population. We met in Santa Clara,
Silicon Valley.

> So, it would seem that American teachers might already be about as good as
> could be expected ... in doing what they are trying to do (implementing
> parrot-training curricula) ...  with "undisciplined" American students who
> know only how to try to do what (parroting) they are trying to do.  The
> tragedy is that (try as they must) the students presently cannot learn
> curricular mathematics as mathematical common sense ... because the
> curricula that teachers implement are not scientifically designed to be
> mathematically common-sensible to students.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Clyde

Why do we care who's "American" again? What foul brainwashing made it
important where you happened to pop out on the surface of a sphere?
What silly / arbitrary partitioning was applied to make these people
hate each other and justify their petty wars? Ah yes, nations,
statism. Hardly mathematically beautiful. Come to think of it, it's
hard to find mathematically mature people who think the nation state
minded have much serious to offer. When it comes to management, it's
"think globally, act locally". If you don't know how to do that, then
you can be a puppet in front of a teleprompter telling people what
they want to hear -- but a mathematician you won't be, most probably.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/23/12
Read Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Ken Abbott
3/23/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Paul A. Tanner III
3/24/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Haim
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/28/12
[...]
Domenico Rosa
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Dave L. Renfro
3/27/12