Topic: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Mar 28, 2012 4:52 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?

Robert Hansen wrote (in part):

> I bet if you walked into an algebra class today, the book
> on the desk would not be the first thing to catch your eye.
> In fact, I bet you become exhausted by all the things that
> catch your eye first and you never even make it to the book.

This is one of the funniest comments I've seen in math-teach in
a while. And just so I'm not misunderstood, it's funny because
I can believe this is exactly what would happen to me. I was
in a huge number of classrooms in 1988 (I substituted daily
for several months in three neighboring mid-sized districts,
one urban and two suburban), but I haven't seen much of high
schools since then. Yes, I did teach high school for 3 years
in the late 1990s, but it was extremely traditional, located
in an old brick building with most teachers using blackboards
and a few teachers using overhead projectors. However, despite
my lack of recent experience in being in a high school classroom,
I can easily imagine how different things are now, as even
in 1988 I thought things were quite different from what I
experienced in high school in 1973-77 (at a small rural school).

Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
3/23/12
Read Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Ken Abbott
3/23/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Paul A. Tanner III
3/24/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Haim
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/28/12
[...]
Domenico Rosa
3/27/12