Topic: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Mar 28, 2012 4:52 PM

Louis Talman

Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?

On 3/26/12, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> Some of this stuff looks too absurd to be "planned". For example, that high
> school here in Florida with 600+ students in AP and less than 15
> (essentially zero) students passing. And that is just one high school at the
> top of a list of 94 such high schools. When I see absurdity such as this I
> am thinking "mindless",

The mindlessness here lies in accepting this particular datum as indicative of
a problem that needs to be addressed an any level other than the local level.

About 250,000 students took the AB Calculus exam last year.
<http://www.macalester.edu/~bressoud/talks/2011talks.html>

So many hundreds---if not a few thousands---of schools were involved. That
94 schools performed very badly is no surprise, incompetence being always
among us.

- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

<http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>

Date Subject Author
3/23/12
Read Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Ken Abbott
3/23/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Paul A. Tanner III
3/24/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Haim
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/28/12
[...]
Domenico Rosa
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Dave L. Renfro
3/27/12