Topic: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Mar 28, 2012 4:52 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?

The "94" metric (actually I just rechecked, it is 93) was for a single state, Florida. Some states are better and some states are, well, probably better. The details are in this post...

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7746419&tstart=15

This is how college works, isn't it Lou? Unreasonably high rates of attrition that everyone takes for granted. The cost of doing business. Do you have a lot of experience with teaching classes where more than half of your students fail? This is what 70% of the AP classes in Florida look like. You are right, it is a local issue. That is how our schools are run. But it has national importance. I think it is also important for parents to realize that AP is not a uniformly run program. AP had every reason going for it to be a standard bearer, but something or someone else had other plans.

Bob Hansen

On Mar 27, 2012, at 1:57 PM, Louis Talman wrote:

> On 3/26/12, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>

>> Some of this stuff looks too absurd to be "planned". For example, that high
>> school here in Florida with 600+ students in AP and less than 15
>> (essentially zero) students passing. And that is just one high school at the
>> top of a list of 94 such high schools. When I see absurdity such as this I
>> am thinking "mindless",

> The mindlessness here lies in accepting this particular datum as indicative of
> a problem that needs to be addressed an any level other than the local level.
>
> About 250,000 students took the AB Calculus exam last year.
> <http://www.macalester.edu/~bressoud/talks/2011talks.html>
>
> So many hundreds---if not a few thousands---of schools were involved. That
> 94 schools performed very badly is no surprise, incompetence being always
> among us.
>
> --Louis A. Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State College of Denver
>
> <http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>

Date Subject Author
3/23/12
Read Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Ken Abbott
3/23/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Paul A. Tanner III
3/24/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Haim
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/28/12
[...]
Domenico Rosa
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Dave L. Renfro
3/27/12