Topic: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Mar 28, 2012 4:52 PM

Louis Talman

Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?

On 3/27/12, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> The "94" metric (actually I just rechecked, it is 93) was for a single
> state, Florida. Some states are better and some states are, well, probably
> better. The details are in this post...
>
> http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7746419&tstart=15
>
> This is how college works, isn't it Lou? Unreasonably high rates of
> attrition that everyone takes for granted. The cost of doing business. Do
> you have a lot of experience with teaching classes where more than half of
> your students fail? This is what 70% of the AP classes in Florida look like.
> You are right, it is a local issue. That is how our schools are run. But it
> has national importance. I think it is also important for parents to realize
> that AP is not a uniformly run program. AP had every reason going for it to
> be a standard bearer, but something or someone else had other plans.

Let's be clear here. (Yes---I know. You think clarity unimportant.)
The AP program *is* "uniformly run". It isn't run by the State of
Florida, nor is it run by individual schools or school districts. It's
run by the College Board.

Florida evidently has a preparation problem---whether it pertains to
teachers, to students, or to both I can't say. But it seems clear that
a large fraction of Florida's students who enroll in AP Calculus are
not prepared to do so, or that a large fraction of Florida's teachers
who teach AP Calculus are not prepared to do so, or that both
statements are true. That's a local problem---not a problem with the
AP program.

As to your continued complaints that the passing scores for the AP
Calculus exams are too low, I suggest that you, yourself, would have
grave difficulty in achieving what you think a good score might be on
the Free Response portion of the exam if you were to take it,
sight-unseen, under the conditions students do so.

- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

<http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>

Date Subject Author
3/23/12
Read Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Ken Abbott
3/23/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Paul A. Tanner III
3/24/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Haim
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/28/12
[...]
Domenico Rosa
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Dave L. Renfro
3/27/12