Topic: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Mar 28, 2012 4:52 PM

Louis Talman

Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?

Do you mean to say that students who take the AP Calculus courses for purposes
other than getting credit for college courses are prepared for those courses?

I don't recall addressing any of the issues you mention below---and
don't entirely
disagree with you. But I will stand by my statement that one of the
possibilities (only
one) for the the low pass rate is that a large fraction of students
are unprepared to
enroll in a calculus course.

As to aiming for "in-depth conceptual understanding of the normally troublesome
components of calculus," I'm afraid that's something most college courses don't
do either.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Clyde Greeno @ MALEI <greeno@malei.org> wrote:

> " But it seems clear that
> a large fraction of Florida's students who enroll in AP Calculus are
> not prepared to do so,..."
>
> Woah! The AP Calculus program was set up and run by the College Board for
> purposes of educating high school students in some or all of elementary
> calculus. The AP test scores reflect *only* the number of students who
> qualify for college credits at specific levels.
>
> Many high school students who enroll in AP calculus have no intention of
> testing out of college courses. Many use it only for advanced prep for
> calculus ... or even to decide whether or not the should think about STEM
> majors in college.
>
> Many schools give students the opportunity of exploring calculus, without
> expecting them to get college credit. A 70% failure rate on AP exams does
> *not* equate with a only a 30% success rate for the HS courses.   Depending
> on what the schools are trying to do for the students who enroll in their
> calculus courses, the actual success rate for a course might be 95%, while
> only 5% pass the AP test.
>
> [Indeed, a high school course that aims for in-depth conceptual
> understanding of the normally troublesome components of calculus might not
> even be designed to produce good AP scored.]
>
> Let's be thinking!

- --Louis A. Talman
  Metropolitan State College of Denver

  <http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>

Date Subject Author
3/23/12
Read Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Ken Abbott
3/23/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Paul A. Tanner III
3/24/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Haim
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/28/12
[...]
Domenico Rosa
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Dave L. Renfro
3/27/12