Topic: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Mar 28, 2012 4:52 PM

kirby urner

Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
att1.html (3.0 K)

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

<< snip >>

> Case in point: our Blue House (household) provides a scholarship for
> a musician in the basement studio. True, she happens to be a
> corporate refugee from the dark ages "defense" industry (forced down
> your throat toys you'd rather not play with is more what it's like).
> There's a Yamaha keyboard, Bose tower speaker kit, drum machine
> (affectionately named R2D2), a computer. She already knows Perl, or
> did.

<accounting>

Partly a scholarship, but lets not neglect her $80K mas o meno with the
airplane people in Savannah, which led to a war chest (savings) and
a pretty nice car. Given her ethics against squanderous / squalid
lifestyles, and her understanding that my invalid mother needs
transportation, I've been gaining equity in said motor vehicle over two
years of sharing title. Maxi Taxi has been doing company work in the
interim (and will continue to do so I envision).

</accounting>

> We do outreach through AFSC to advertise the virtues of this lifestyle.

"...this lifestyle" refers to a range of civilian lifestyle options, many of
which involve music in some degree. For some of our number, music
is more about dancing, but for others it's about math education:

http://holykaw.alltop.com/music-and-math-is-a-winning-combination

> We also inject a few powerful memes under the heading of "rad math"
> and/or "verboten math". Unless your curriculum has the integrity to
> show a non-cubic model of 3rd powering, we turn up our noses at it and
> call it nasty names.

Makes sense to have amounts relate to dollars, as dollars are
spent for amounts. Liquids, powders / solids, gases -- these are
usually treated as XYZ not XY phenomena i.e. they take up space,
are not just planar. $1 = some unit of space, filled with a standard
substance ("res extensa" is the Cartesian brand).

Tabulation (of ingots):

$1 Tetrahedron
$3 Cube
$4 Octahedron
$6 Rhombic Dodecahedron

Go ahead and include these values, with models and drawings to
make everything clear. Animations, lots of animations.

Kirby

Message was edited by: kirby urner

Date Subject Author
3/23/12
Read Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Ken Abbott
3/23/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Paul A. Tanner III
3/24/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
kirby urner
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Haim
3/26/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Louis Talman
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/28/12
[...]
Domenico Rosa
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Robert Hansen
3/27/12
Read Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?
Dave L. Renfro
3/27/12