The Math Forum

Topic: Re: Who is the greatest published mathematician in history? If you
were asked..

Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 3, 2012 12:57 PM

kirby urner

Re: Who is the greatest published mathematician in history? If you
were asked..

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Jonathan Crabtree
<sendtojonathan@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Kirby I may as well be a chimpanzee for the amount of maths I undertand in your reply. Yet the point I got is why NOT debate favourite tastes and composers of math?

Yes. The maths I'm into is really easy if presented with visuals in a
methodical manner. Cartoons etc.

I have a web site called the Oregon Curriculum Network (OCN) which
various people find. In terms of physical location it's clearly just
a pointer to what we call the Blue House in Portland's guide book to
local radicals.

The Washington High School headquarters is more under the radar.

I'm influenced by the world of comics, underground comics especially
(e.g. Crumb used to be). MAD Magazine was an influence (I see it less
these days).

Mathematics is traditionally presented in a somewhat establishment
light i.e. the people who practiced it for a living, say Hamilton,
Fermat, were not considered counter-culture, but then we can debate
until that cows come home (or never do) what that really means, and
think of counter-examples.

Pythagoras? Wasn't he driven off his island and forced to move to the
Italian peninsula?

Mathematics has gotten more overtly inter-twined with "that which is
subversive" in the world of cryptography. These days you have lots of
geeks with public keys in their sigs, so you can send them stuff you
don't think the NSA or GCHQ will be able to read.

> The passion of a teacher will be the experience that inspires a child to pursue more.
>
> Maybe it's not the list that matters at all it's what matters to you; what inspired you and made you believe that could too could be a great mathematician (or STEM) professional.

Yes I think a STEM teacher should be able to point to her or his
influences. Linus Pauling for me, now going outside the math lists.
I mentioned Guido van Rossum earlier. Being able to graph ones own
thinking in terms of who helped inform it is a skill to role model to
students. Paul was doing that for us, sketching his interests.

Students need to be thinking in these terms as well.

This thread influenced what I wrote in my journal last night:

"I'm suggesting we all do more to map ourselves against a backdrop.
Construct your model of history and then fit yourself into it. Make
this a front burner project. You have a role, and not just if you're
a president."

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2012/04/study-hall.html (there's a link
back to here)

> Thank you!