Topic: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 12, 2012 11:45 AM

Clyde Greeno

Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
att1.html (17.0 K)

Ed,

Your, "I am not certain what you mean that it is not a matter of opinion"
No issue: If "proportion reasoning" is a special case of "function reasoning", it follows that "function reasoning" is more useful than "proportion reasoning"... all opinions notwithstanding.

"... not teach functional reasoning..." Not at all what I meant. My own recommendation: teach the broader kind ... to impart the big picture ASAP ... to the extent that it is pertinent and can be fully common-sensible ... with emphasis on whatever special kinds warrant attention ... linearity, powers, exponentials, waves, etc. But too much detail, too early, forces haste, superficiality, alienation and withdrawal ... which is the prevalent mode.

Cheers.
Clyde