Topic: Is Match Filtering Ever Used To Recover the Signal's Original
Wave Form In Optics?

Replies: 13   Last Post: Apr 15, 2012 1:00 AM

Tim Wescott

Re: Is Match Filtering Ever Used To Recover the Signal's Original
Wave Form In Optics?

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 22:51:35 -0700, Bret Cahill wrote:

>> > Is it common to use matched filtering to recover the original signal
>> > in optics?

>> Matched filtering is used to _recover_ a signal only by those who don't
>> understand it.

> You got that exactly backwards.
>

>> It is used to _determine_the_presence_or_absence of a particular signal
>> -- the one that matches the filter -- in a degraded channel.

> After you IMPRODUCT the FFT of the signal times the FFT of the template
> in Excel, why be satisfied with just the convolution?
>
> Why not IMSQRT the product while in the frequency domain -- this must be
> the easiest deconvolution of all time -- and then take FFT^-1 to take a
> look at the cleaned up signal?
>
> Come on folks! I don't want to call this "obvious" or a "no brainer"
> because of the _extremely_ remote chance there may be some IP here but
> this _must_ have been done 70+ years ago.

Bret:

I finally realized what the source of the friction is between you and the
rest of us here:

You, in your inexperience and lack of training, are infinitely better
than all of us combined, even though many of us do DSP for a living.

As painful as this may sound to you, there is clearly only one answer:

Get the hell off the group, and go be a @#$% genius by yourself. True,
you'll be lonely. But, you won't have us dragging you down.

So -- get along.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com