Topic: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 12, 2012 11:45 AM

Wayne Mackey

Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
att1.html (2.9 K)

No need to stop.  Just make sure that step functions or functions with
integer domains are on the test and many will learn all about them.  They
aren't hard.

wayne

Quoting Ed Laughbaum <elaughba@math.ohio-state.edu>:
>> I would assume that because of the mathematics level and the
> > mathematical maturity of developmental students, it is a common
> > classroom practice to not address the problem domain and range. For
> > the same reason, we usually assume continuous functions when modeling
> > real-world situations at the remedial level. Should we stop
> > connecting remedial algebra to the real world so we can avoid issues
> > like these?
> >
> > Ed
> > =======================
> > On 4/10/2012 7:28 AM, Philip Mahler wrote:

> >> On 4/9/12 8:55 PM, "Blustein, Bonnie" <BlusteB@wlac.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >>    usage charge functions are usually step functions, actually.  They
> >>    round up to the nearest full unit.

> >> *Agreed.
> >>
> >> In fact there are probably taxes added on that are a (possibly step)
> >> function of only parts of a bill. And fuel charges if it's a car
> >> rental or plane flight... Proportions, even linear (even non-linear)
> >> function modeling can only go so far, but it is still useful.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to think of anything in a math text that is an accurate
> >> model of a real-world situation. (not to say some of those
> >> applications should not be there)
> >>
> >> One message I get from this is the importance of numeracy, which
> >> needs to include at least simple descriptive statistics. And an
> >> ability to read messy documents that have lots of data on them (like
> >> an electric bill).
> >>
> >> Still, as many others have noted since Isaac Newton, it is truly
> >> wonderous that the universe behaves in ways that can be modeled with
> >> mathematics. Not artificial situations like bills, but the very laws
> >> of physics.
> >>
> >> Phil
> >> *

> > --
> > Edward Laughbaum    www.math.osu.edu/~laughbaum.6/[1]
> > The Ohio State University
> > 231 West 18th Avenue
> > Columbus, OH 43210

Links:
------
[1] http://www.math.osu.edu/~laughbaum.6/
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
wayne<br>
Quoting Ed Laughbaum &lt;<a href="mailto:elaughba@math.ohio-state.edu">elaughba@math.ohio-state.edu</a>&gt;:</p>
&gt; mathematical maturity of developmental students, it is a common<br>
&gt; classroom practice to not address the problem domain and range. For<br>
&gt; the same reason, we usually assume continuous functions when modeling<br>
&gt; real-world situations at the remedial level. Should we stop<br>
&gt; connecting remedial algebra to the real world so we can avoid issues<br>
&gt; like these?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Ed<br>
&gt; =======================<br>
&gt; On 4/10/2012 7:28 AM, Philip Mahler wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; On 4/9/12 8:55 PM, "Blustein, Bonnie" &lt;<a href="mailto:BlusteB@wlac.edu">BlusteB@wlac.edu</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; usage charge functions are usually step functions, actually.&nbsp; They<br>
&gt;&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; round up to the nearest full unit.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; ------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; *Agreed.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; In fact there are probably taxes added on that are a (possibly step)<br>
&gt;&gt; function of only parts of a bill. And fuel charges if it's a car<br>
&gt;&gt; rental or plane flight... Proportions, even linear (even non-linear)<br>
&gt;&gt; function modeling can only go so far, but it is still useful.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I'm trying to think of anything in a math text that is an accurate<br>
&gt;&gt; model of a real-world situation. (not to say some of those<br>
&gt;&gt; applications should not be there)<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; One message I get from this is the importance of numeracy, which<br>
&gt;&gt; needs to include at least simple descriptive statistics. And an<br>
&gt;&gt; ability to read messy documents that have lots of data on them (like<br>
&gt;&gt; an electric bill).<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Still, as many others have noted since Isaac Newton, it is truly<br>
&gt;&gt; wonderous that the universe behaves in ways that can be modeled with<br>
&gt;&gt; mathematics. Not artificial situations like bills, but the very laws<br>
&gt;&gt; of physics.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Phil<br>
&gt;&gt; *<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; The Ohio State University<br>
&gt; 231 West 18th Avenue<br>
&gt; Columbus, OH 43210</p>

Date Subject Author
4/5/12
Read MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Clyde Greeno
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Kathleen Almy
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Kathleen Almy
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/7/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/9/12
Read RE: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Blustein, Bonnie
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/10/12
Read RE: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Blustein, Bonnie
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/11/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/11/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Wayne Mackey
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/8/12