Topic: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 12, 2012 11:45 AM

Guy Brandenburg

Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
att1.html (3.4 K)

Step finctioons do have quite a few applications in the real world, including a rebate program for photovoltaic energy right here in DC that I was checking out immediately before reading this email.
However it's easy to make mistakes when doing computations with them.

Guy

On Apr 10, 2012, at 10:21 PM, wmackey <wmackey@uark.edu> wrote:

> No need to stop. Just make sure that step functions or functions with integer domains are on the test and many will learn all about them. They aren't hard.
>
> wayne
>
> Quoting Ed Laughbaum <elaughba@math.ohio-state.edu>:
>

>> > I would assume that because of the mathematics level and the
>> > mathematical maturity of developmental students, it is a common
>> > classroom practice to not address the problem domain and range. For
>> > the same reason, we usually assume continuous functions when modeling
>> > real-world situations at the remedial level. Should we stop
>> > connecting remedial algebra to the real world so we can avoid issues
>> > like these?
>> >
>> > Ed
>> > =======================

>> > --
>> > Edward Laughbaum www.math.osu.edu/~laughbaum.6/
>> > The Ohio State University
>> > 231 West 18th Avenue
>> > Columbus, OH 43210

Date Subject Author
4/5/12
Read MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Clyde Greeno
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Kathleen Almy
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Kathleen Almy
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/7/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/9/12
Read RE: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Blustein, Bonnie
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/10/12
Read RE: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Blustein, Bonnie
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/11/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/11/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Wayne Mackey
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/8/12