Topic: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 12, 2012 11:45 AM

Guy Brandenburg

Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open

What if some folks don't buy that definition?

Guy

On Apr 11, 2012, at 9:55 PM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain@gmail.com> wrote:

> (1) Definition: A function f is linear if and only if
>
> f( m_1?x_1 + m_2?x_2) = m_1f(x_1)+m_2?f(x_2)
>
> (The output of a linear combination of inputs is the linear combination of the outputs. In other words, the diagram commutes,)
>
> (2) The function x ???> f(x) = ax+b is NOT linear (It is called AFFINE)
>
> (3) The function x ???> f(x) = ax IS linear
>
> Regards
> --schremmer
>

> On Apr 10, 2012, at 4:08 PM, Philip Mahler wrote:
>

>> Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
>> I wasn?t suggesting we drop connecting, or trying to connect, algebra to the real world by simplifying things. All modeling does that, and modeling is one of the most important things we can offer to our students.
>>
>> If you saw hesitancy, and you correctly did, I sometimes think of this example I saw in a textbook, problem 25, verbatim:
>>

>>> Estelle runs a television repair shop. The formula she uses to approximate her weekly profits is
>>> y = ?3x^2 + 108x
>>> where y is the profit from repairing x television sets. Use a graph to determine how many sets she must repair to make a maximum profit. What is the maximum profit?

>> We do try too hard sometimes. (and I hope no lister wrote it, if so my apology, I have had colleagues that see nothing wrong with it so maybe it?s me)
>>
>> I had to go to an old talk of mine to find that, and while I did, I found this, which is a gem (albeit perhaps 10 years old and just offered because it deserves sharing):
>>
>> A young student, when asked how she decided which arithmetic technique to use in solving a problem, responded:
>> ? 3 numbers or more, I add...
>> ? 2 numbers about the same size, I subtract...
>> ? 2 numbers?one big, one little?I divide...
>> ? otherwise I multiply.
>> From an advertisement by Academic Press of books by Charles P. McKeague.
>>
>> I definitely do think that building on a real-world example that students understand well (that?s important) is a good way to approach a topic. Maybe even using just-in-time content presentation along with it.
>>
>> Phil
>>

>> On 4/10/12 10:36 AM, "Blustein, Bonnie" <BlusteB@wlac.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> I assume linearity to begin with (until we have a graph and linear function that satisfies everyone) and then (usually) mention the step aspect (qualitatively, without much detail). A lot of them get the idea and appreciate that math does have a way to make an even more realistic model.

Date Subject Author
4/5/12
Read MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Clyde Greeno
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Kathleen Almy
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Kathleen Almy
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/7/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/9/12
Read RE: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Blustein, Bonnie
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/10/12
Read RE: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Blustein, Bonnie
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/11/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/11/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Wayne Mackey
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/8/12