Topic: system command in MuPAD
Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 15, 2012 11:00 PM

Steven Lord

Re: system command in MuPAD

"Brad Cooper" <Brad.Cooper_17@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> In MuPAD 4.0 running under Win XP version 2002 SP 3
>
> I try...
>
> sysname()
> "MSDOS" (as expected)
>
> system("date/t > comm_file")
> 1
> (error code=1, no file produced)
>
> !date/t > comm_file
> (noerror code[silent], no file produced)
>
> I need to obtain the date from the system.
>
> The docs say...
>
> If not available, a call to "system" results in the following error
> message:
>
> Error: Function not available for this client [system].

This may be for a slightly newer version of MuPAD than you're using, but
here's the documentation for the version of MuPAD included with the most
recent release of Symbolic Math Toolbox:

http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/mupad/stdlib/system.html

By the way, unless ! has changed significantly, the fact that ! didn't
display an error code is expected. From the page above:

"!command is equivalent to system("command"):; note that !command will
suppress output of its return value."

> I don't get an error message, so it would seem "system" is available. Has
> "system" been implemented for Win XP?

Let's determine whether the problem is likely in the system's execution of
the command, the interface between MuPAD and the system, or inside MuPAD.
First, what happens when you execute that command at a command prompt
started from Programs in the Start Menu? If you receive an error there, that
would seem to indicate the problem lies in the system's execution of the
command, independent of MuPAD.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com