Topic: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs

Replies: 148   Last Post: May 8, 2012 3:40 AM

Ray Koopman

Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs

On Apr 16, 10:27 am, djh <halitsk...@att.net> wrote:
> I tried your suggestion for using the media to dichotomize the
> residals (after adjusting the residuals according to your instructions
> two posts ago.) The result I got seems to provide additional evidence
> that both correlations:
>
> correlation Cel: (log c - log e) on (log c - log L)
> correlation Cul: (log c - log u) on (log c - log L)
>
> are very much homoscedastic. But I wanted to check this result with
> you, to make sure that I'm correct in saying that this result results
> from the homoscedasticity of the two correlations.
>
> So - here's what I did on a set of 612 subsequences:
>
> 1) ran the regressions Cel and Cul
> 2) adjusted the residuals for each according to your "adjustment"
> instruction (here I used the Excel "VAR" function to determine
> variance of x = (log c - log L) and I used the residuals reported out
> by Excel.)
> 3) found the medians for the two sets of adjusted residuals;
> 4) assigned the index 11, 01, 10, 00 to each of the 612 subsequences
> in the obvious way:
>
> a) 11 if the subsequence had a Cel residual < the Cel median and a
> Cul residual < the Cul median
> b) 10 if the subsequence had a Cel residual < the Cel median and a
> Cul residual >= the Cul median
> c) 01 if the subsequence had a Cel residual >= the Cel median and a
> Cul residual < the Cul median
> d) 00 if the subsequence had a Cel residual >- the Cel median and a
> Cul residual >= the Cul median.

'0' means 'a big number', '1' means 'a small number'. Obvious ;)

> And the result of this assignment was:
>
> 153 of the 612 subsequences marked 11
> 153 of the 612 subsequences marked 10
> 153 of the 612 subsequences marked 01
> 153 of the 612 subsequences marked 00
>
> I assume that this even 4-way split is the result of the residuals
> being highly homoscedastic in both correlations Cel and Cul, since if
> I'm understanding the basics correctly:
>
> i) high homoscedasticity implies very uncorrelated errors
> ii) very uncorrelated errors in both the Cul and Cel correlation would
> lead to the above even 4-way split.
>
> Is this interpretation correct, or am I entirely off-track here ?
>
> Thanks as always for any time you can afford to spend considering this
> question ...

The evenness of the four-way split is the result of two things:
dichotomizing at the medians, and the two sets of residuals being
uncorrelated with one another. Although certain patterns of
heteroscedasticity could prevent the split from being even,
homoscedasticity does not make it even. Also, remember that it's
the absolute residuals we're talking about, not the signed residuals.

Date Subject Author
4/1/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/3/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/3/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/6/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/6/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/6/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/7/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/7/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/8/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/8/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/9/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/9/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/9/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/9/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/9/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/10/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/10/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/11/12
[...]
Art Kendall
4/11/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/13/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/13/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/13/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/14/12
[...]
4/15/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/15/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/15/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/15/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/16/12
[...]
4/17/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/17/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/17/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/18/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/19/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/19/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/20/12
[...]
gimpeltf@hotmail.com
4/20/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
gimpeltf@hotmail.com
4/20/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
gimpeltf@hotmail.com
4/21/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
gimpeltf@hotmail.com
4/21/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Halitsky
4/24/12
Read Re: Correct way to normalize an rmsd-based distance metric used in
repeated trials of pairs
Ray Koopman
4/22/12
Read Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's program
to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
4/23/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
4/24/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
4/24/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
4/24/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
4/24/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
4/26/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
4/26/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
4/26/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
4/27/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
4/27/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
4/27/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
4/28/12
[...]
4/29/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
4/29/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
4/29/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
4/29/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
4/29/12
Read Your questions go to the "moment of truth" that Jacques and Arthur
may shortly be facing
Halitsky
4/29/12
Read Re: Your questions go to the "moment of truth" that Jacques and
Arthur may shortly be facing
Halitsky
4/29/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
4/30/12
[...]
5/1/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
5/1/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
5/1/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Ray Koopman
5/1/12
Read Re: Our first control group result is precisely how we want AML's
program to behave with control group data ....
Halitsky
5/1/12
Read Results for c1 study and control groups when model run WITHOUT the
four cells for shortest length interval 33-42
Halitsky
5/2/12
Read Results on c2 fold confirm peculiarity of length interval 33-42 seen
in c1 fold results
Halitsky
5/2/12
Read Model with adjusted weighting logic now works on c2 fold! (but PLEASE
review my new weighting logic !)
Halitsky
5/2/12
Read Actually, your original suggestion (input counts) works as well as
what I just posted for the c2 fold
Halitsky
5/3/12
Read Re: Actually, your original suggestion (input counts) works as well
as what I just posted for the c2 fold
Ray Koopman
5/3/12
Read Re: Actually, your original suggestion (input counts) works as well
as what I just posted for the c2 fold
Halitsky
5/3/12
Read Comparative results for {lnL,w,lnLw,x1,x2} & {lnL,w,lnLw,x1,x2,lnLx1,lnLx2}
Halitsky
5/4/12
Read Re: Comparative results for {lnL,w,lnLw,x1,x2} & {lnL,w,lnLw,x1,x2,lnLx1,lnLx2}
Ray Koopman
5/4/12
Read Re: Comparative results for {lnL,w,lnLw,x1,x2} & {lnL,w,lnLw,x1,x2,lnLx1,lnLx2}
Halitsky
5/4/12
Read Your question re significance of proportion involving counts of
01:10:01:11 inputs to Arthur's program
Halitsky
5/4/12
Read Results of both chi-square tests on all six folds
Halitsky
5/4/12
Read Re: Comparative results for {lnL,w,lnLw,x1,x2} & {lnL,w,lnLw,x1,x2,lnLx1,lnLx2}
Halitsky
5/4/12
Read I'm sending the a1 CI table off-line, since the format didn't hold here.
Halitsky
5/5/12
Read Re: I'm sending the a1 CI table off-line, since the format didn't
hold here.
Halitsky
5/5/12
Read Re: I'm sending the a1 CI table off-line, since the format didn't
hold here.
Ray Koopman
5/5/12
Read Re: I'm sending the a1 CI table off-line, since the format didn't
hold here.
Halitsky
5/7/12
Read Re: I'm sending the a1 CI table off-line, since the format didn't
hold here.
Halitsky
5/7/12
Read Re: I'm sending the a1 CI table off-line, since the format didn't
hold here.
Halitsky
5/8/12
Read Re: I'm sending the a1 CI table off-line, since the format didn't
hold here.
Ray Koopman
5/8/12
Read Re: I'm sending the a1 CI table off-line, since the format didn't
hold here.
Halitsky
5/6/12
Read Re: I'm sending the a1 CI table off-line, since the format didn't
hold here.
Ray Koopman
5/3/12
Read Could I ask you to check this 1st test using sum of chi-squares from
study vs control cells ?
Halitsky
5/3/12
Read Re: Could I ask you to check this 1st test using sum of chi-squares
from study vs control cells ?
Ray Koopman
5/3/12
Read Re: Could I ask you to check this 1st test using sum of chi-squares
from study vs control cells ?
Halitsky
5/3/12
Read Could I ask you to check this 1st test using converged likelihoods
for study/control/pooled runs?
Halitsky
5/3/12
Read Re: Could I ask you to check this 1st test using converged