The Math Forum

Topic: Calculus Position Statement - NCTM & MAA
Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 17, 2012 8:01 PM

kirby urner

Re: Calculus Position Statement - NCTM & MAA

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> This seems needlessly vague. Are they saying to stop stuffing AP calculus
> classes with students that don't even know algebra? And what is with this
> vagueness? When I have an idea the very last thing I want is vagueness.
> Certainly they reviewed this statement many times before releasing it. This
> causes me to believe that the vagueness here is intentional and purposeful.
> Are there any straight shooters left in this club any more.
>
> Bob Hansen

What's the mystery? As you've been hearing on this list, there's a
groundswell of interest in what used to be called "discrete math" but
which has now attracted the computer science teachers.

When it comes to readying students for college and/or the job market,
there's much more than just calculus to consider.

Imagine my 4 year pre-college digital math track has been completed in
more schools and you have lots of students prepared in a different way
than you were.

The NCTM & MAA is / are giving the green light to my invisible STEM
teacher army.

We don't think "calculus mountain" needs to be the one bottleneck /
weeding / culling chute it has become.

I've been fairly meticulous in journaling the political organizing so
that our detractors can't accuse us of doing it all in smoke filled
back offices.

E.g.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/04/gis-meeting.html

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2008/04/calculus-mountain.html

As a proud Oregonian (we use the word Cascadia too, have a flag and
everything), I'm always taunting California for being so far behind,
but that's more just friendly rivalry (like Stephen Colbert vs. John
Stewart).

Silicon Forest is less gaga about Apple than hicks in Florida maybe --
might account for your inability to read between the lines from that
distance (too much iPhone on the brain?).

Kirby

OPDX / Ministry of Education
Washington High School
Portland, Oregon