Topic: 0^0=1
Replies: 145   Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 1:10 PM

Don H

Re: 0^0=1

"Frederick Williams" <freddywilliams@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> DonH wrote:
>

>> (Zero, while a mathematical symbol, is not a number, but denotes the
>> absence
>> of number?)

> Strictly speaking, if zero is a mathematical symbol, then it is not a
> number. But the man in the street speaks (where numerals and numbers
> are concerned) of symbols and things symbolized as if they were the
> same.
>
> It is understandable that the ancients found zero hard to understand,
> but consider: you have eleven pounds in your bank account and you take
> eleven pounds out. Your statement will read
>
> ... £11 ...
> ... £0 ...
>
> that '0' doesn't indicate absence of number, it indicates absence of
> money.

# This illustrates the need for denoting what it is we are enumerating.
Every number should be associated with a physical entity.
" '0' doesn't indicate absence of number" - but it does: absence of a
number of pounds sterling.
Reminds me of an actual case, in which a person was sent a demand for $0
by the IRS. He phone them, and said he didn't owe anything. He got
reminder notices, demanding payment, but such ceased when he mailed them his
cheque for $0.

Date Subject Author
4/20/12
Read 0^0=1