The Math Forum

Topic: sunlight takes 1,000 years to get out of the Sun& Doppler blueshift
Chapt13.4007 Strong Nuclear Force as a chemical bond #471 New Physics #592
ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed

Replies: 4   Last Post: May 2, 2012 1:49 AM

glen herrmannsfeldt

Re: sunlight takes 1,000 years to get out of the Sun& Doppler blueshift Chapt13.4007 Strong Nuclear Force as a chemical bond #471 New Physics #592 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed

In sci.physics.electromag Archimedes Plutonium <plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com> wrote:

(snip)
>> > Now I believe one of the worst and hideous mistakes of Old Physics
>> > was the belief that a Doppler shift can exist on light,
>> > when it can only exist on sound waves, never light waves.

(snip, then I wrote)

>> Tell that to the judge next time you get stopped for speeding
>> by a radar cop.

> Just because a speed detection company gives their devises
> the name "doppler speed" does not mean Doppler speed
> exists for light.

(snip)
> Just because someone names a race bicycle a Doppler bicycle
> does not mean in the London Olympics that Doppler physics
> is involved in the race.

OK, I misunderstood the previous post.

There is an effect that, in the low relative velocity limit, gives
the same results as the doppler effect and, for various reasons,
has been given the same name. The explanation for the effect is
different, and likely would have surprised Doppler, but the
effect is there.

Often when someone says that an effect doesn't exist, the meaning
is that there is no effect at all. As such, police radar would not
indicate any speed at all, but we know that it does.

There are many Newtonian physics terms that have a different
explanation with special relativity that are, conveniently, given
the same name. Kinetic energy, for another.

-- glen