Topic: transit of venus
Replies: 3   Last Post: May 4, 2012 11:18 PM

Guy Brandenburg

Re: [MathTalk] transit of venus
att1.html (14.4 K)

Sometimes they really are amazingly detailed. At times, when you look at the sun and conditions are right and the scope has been properly tuned and focused, you can see detail on there as fine as on a sunflower under a microscope. And you can watch it change. Of course, when I saw it as detailed as that, I was in northern Vermont at an astronomical event known as Stellafane, looking through a privately-owned telescope belonging to Al Nagler, definitely one of the best-known and best-regarded eyepiece maker of this century, and he had one of the very best amateur hydrogen-alpha telescopes int he world at the time.

When I try it with my own, or even my club's, equipment, it's never as good, but sometimes we get close.

I just did a sort of back-of-the-envelope calculation that the parallax you would see, if the AU is about 93 million miles as I was taught and if they weren't lying, and you had two earthside observers with a baseline of 4000 miles (any direction will do) then the parallax would be about 0.7% of the way across the sun.

Could I see that sort of a shift on a number of photos taken by two experts (say, Greg Piepol number 1 and Greg Piepol number 2, on opposite sides of the Pacific)? I am positive, unless the atmosphere of Venus is so huge that it spreads the light out all over the place. Which I don't recall seeing back in 2004.

Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html