Topic: clearing a variable with a dummy subscript
Replies: 5   Last Post: May 21, 2012 5:59 AM

Bill Rowe

Re: clearing a variable with a dummy subscript

On 5/18/12 at 5:25 AM, ahautot@ulg.ac.be (Andre Hautot) wrote:

>Hi ! Here is something very simple I don't understand :

>f[x_] := x; f[2] (*A function*)
>2

>Clear[f]; f[2] (*The same perfectly cleared as expected*) f[2]
>

>Subscript[u, k_] := k; Subscript[u, 2] (*u with subscript k_
>entered via the palette*)
>2

>Clear[u]; Subscript[u, 2] (*I found no way to clear u; a
>suggestion ?) 2

Simply put, Subscript[u,2] is not a symbol (does not have head
Symbol) in Mathematica. Consequently, things designed to work
with symbols often don't work well with Subscript[u,2].

If you want to use Subscript[u,2] or something similar as a
variable your best choice is to load the Notation package. Use
the documentation center to locate the usage guide by searching
on notation package.