Topic: clearing a variable with a dummy subscript
Replies: 5   Last Post: May 21, 2012 5:59 AM

Peter Breitfeld

Re: clearing a variable with a dummy subscript

Andre Hautot wrote:

> Hi !
> Here is something very simple I don't understand :
> f[x_] := x; f[2] (*A function*)
> 2
> Clear[f]; f[2] (*The same perfectly cleared as expected*)
> f[2]
> Subscript[u, k_] := k; Subscript[u, 2] (*u with subscript k_
> entered via the palette*)
> 2
> Clear[u]; Subscript[u, 2] (*I found no way to clear u; a
> suggestion ?)
> 2
> Thanks in advance,
> ahautot

The values of supcripted Variables are not associated with u, but to

DownValues[u] returns: {}

DownValues[Subscript] returns: {HoldPattern[u_2]:>123}

So to Clear, you must call:

(but then *all* subscripted variables are cleared)

Peter Breitfeld | Bad Saulgau, Germany | http://www.pBreitfeld.de