Topic: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Replies: 25   Last Post: Aug 13, 2014 9:08 AM

Yair Altman

Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...

"amit pathania" <sujanian.amit@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpgbp6$567$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> "scho" wrote in message <i95qak$c1d$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > I made a GUI program, and trying Matlab compiler to make it a standalone program.
> > I am happy that I was able to make an excutable file, and have it running on a
> > different machine which does not have Matlab installed.
> > Of course, I had to install MCR there once, and it can help to run the executable.
> >
> > But my complaint is that the GUI window shows up too slow, and when I check
> > the task manager, the memory usage keeps increasing slowly, and once it gets to
> > certain point it stops increasing and showing the GUI window that I made.
> >
> > Obviously, I think it takes too much time, but I wonder the some preparation
> > step to launch the GUI window usually takes such a bit of time.
> >
> > Any comments would be appreciated.
> >
> > --

> I too experienced this problem.How u overcome it?Can you add splash screen to .exe file?

As I noted above, this is a known issue with Matlab-compiled applications. In some cases I observed start-up times of up to a minute (obviously this depends on the specific hardware and CPU load).

The work-around that I have successfully used is to create a small wrapper application that simply displays a static "Please wait... Loading XYZ..." splash screen and logo (with a generic configuration of the logo image, size, etc.), then launches the main (compiled) application, and finally deletes the splash image when it detects that the main application has actually started. This gives the user an immediate feedback that the application is loading and this seems to resolve the issue. Anyone wishing to have this wrapper application, please contact me offline (altmany at gmail dot com).

Yair Altman
http://UndocumentedMatlab.com

Date Subject Author
10/13/10
Read Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Sanghee
10/13/10
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
ImageAnalyst
10/16/10
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Sanghee
8/19/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Arda
8/19/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Bruno Luong
8/19/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Arda
8/19/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Bruno Luong
8/19/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
ImageAnalyst
2/21/12
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Krishan
8/19/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Arda
8/19/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Bruno Luong
8/19/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
ImageAnalyst
8/20/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Arda
8/20/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
ImageAnalyst
8/20/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Arda
8/20/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Bruno Luong
8/20/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Arda
8/24/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Arda
8/24/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Bruno Luong
8/20/11
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Yair Altman
5/22/12
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
amit pathania
5/22/12
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Yair Altman
7/26/12
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Yair Altman
11/13/12
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Marc
9/19/13
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
elbaz samuel
8/13/14
Read Re: Compiled Matlab GUI code starts up too slow...
Peter