Topic: Please critique my scheme for re-weighting source data
Replies: 8   Last Post: May 27, 2012 11:57 AM

aruzinsky

Re: Please critique my scheme for re-weighting source data

On Feb 23, 5:19 pm, Ray Vickson <RGVick...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 11:20 am, Jennifer Murphy <JenMur...@jm.invalid> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:56:58 -0500, Rich Ulrich
>
> > <rich.ulr...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > >You give no hint, that I notice, of what it is that you
> > >are trying to accomplish.

> > >For most purposes of inference that come to my mind,
> > >the extreme cases -- the ones that you seem to propose
> > >to drop -- are the most informative and most interesting.
> > >So I conclude that your interests are probably the opposite
> > >(in some fashion) from what my naive interests would be.

> > >I repeat-- What are you trying to do?
>
> > I am trying to calculate for each word the relative likeliness that it
> > would be encountered by an average well-educated person in their daily
> > activities: reading the paper, listening to the news, attending classes,
> > talking to other people, reading books, etc.

> > The raw scores that I have already do that, but I question the
> > weighting.I do not think that the average person encounters the types of
> > words typically found in academic journals at the same frequency as they
> > would those found in newspapers or magazines. Therefore, I want to
> > re-weight the five sources to reflect a more average experience.

> The "average" well-educated person will never read an academic
> journal. Whether or not a well-educated person will read a novel (or
> fiction in general) will depend strongly on whether that person is
> male or female.
>
> RGV- Hide quoted text -

I strongly disagree. Papers from scientific and engineering journals
are easily obtained on the internet, some for free and others for a
price. Abstracts are aways free. Almost eventually, a well educated
person will have a health problem which will prompt that person to
read papers from medical journals. For example, I have a Ph.D. in
electrical engineering and, at age 65, I have been diagnosed with T2
diabetes. I read many scientific papers about T2 diabetes.

Put it this way, if your life depended on it, you would be a God damn
fool not to read papers from medical journals.