Topic: How Bad it Is
Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 8:02 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: How Bad it Is

On May 30, 2012, at 11:30 AM, kirby urner wrote:

> Bob Hansen:
>

>> If we were to name the "thing" that harmed the institution of education the most, it would have to be affirmative action.
>
> You're talking about affirmative action and not school integration
> right? Integration and affirmative action are not the same concept.

Right. Actually, they are opposites. One is anti discriminatory and the other is pro.

> Opening the schools to "minorities" also brought in women, not just
> "non white" people.

And again, that wasn't affirmative action. That was anti discrimination.

> Is affirmative action to blame w/r to any specific minority or is it
> just the whole idea of counter-balancing advantages (scholarships
> etc.).

The idea of discrimination is to blame.

I am not blaming any minorities. It wasn't their fault. It was the colleges that began the practice but I think colleges were caught off guard by the rapidity that the civil rights movement succeeded and how rapidly the idea of blatant discrimination became ugly to society. In a panic to mitigate their own ugliness they started lowering the standards everywhere, hiring their own graduates, etc, etc.. They mucked things up pretty good, didn't they. You would think this would call for an investigation, like the banking crisis. I still don't get what they were thinking when they started doing it. I think they thought they were god at some point.

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
5/28/12
Read Re: How Bad it Is