Topic: How Bad it Is
Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 8:02 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: How Bad it Is

Here we go again: More comments at math-teach with racist implications
by certain individuals at math-teach.

You're trying to have it both ways with your claim that integration is
good but affirmative action is bad.

You blame affirmative action for an alleged beginning of "the downfall
of the US".

Put bluntly, that's you saying that allowing all those blacks and
Hispanics and other non-East-Asian people of color "in the room" that
you claim were not qualified to be "in the room" because (as you
claim) their "being in the room" lowered standards is what "started
the downfall of the US".

Don't you see that integration is a form of affirmative action? Don't
you see that integration is a form of allowing all those blacks and
Hispanics and other non-East-Asian people of color "in the room" that
you claim were not qualified to be "in the room" because (as you
claim) their "being in the room" lowered standards - where the room in
question in education is the formerly white college classroom and
formerly while k12 classroom?

To see that integration and affirmative action are connected, the
reader perhaps needs to be reminded of history:

Remember George Wallace? Remember how he literally stood at the door
at the University of Alabama and non-literally at the doors of those
four elementary schools in Alabama to try to stop the affirmative
action of those people of color from being "in the room" at
universities and in the k12 schools in Alabama? Wallace and the other
racists clearly understood that integration in education was the
affirmative action of allowing all those blacks and Hispanics and
other non-East-Asian people of color "in the room" that they (the
racists) claimed were not qualified to be "in the room" because (as
they claimed) their "being in the room" lowered standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace#Segregation

Quote:

"Wallace was elected governor in a landslide victory in November 1962.
He took the oath of office on January 14, 1963, standing on the gold
star marking the spot where, nearly 102 years earlier, Jefferson Davis
was sworn in as provisional president of the Confederate States of
America. In his inaugural speech, Wallace used the line for which he
is best known:

?In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth [he
is talking about American whites], I draw the line in the dust and
toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation
now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.[16][17] ?

The line, based on a quote from Hebrews 13:8: "Jesus Christ the same
yesterday, today, forever",[18] was written by Wallace's new
speechwriter, Asa Earl Carter.

In a vain attempt to halt desegregation by the enrollment of black
students Vivian Malone and James Hood, he stood in front of Foster
Auditorium at the University of Alabama on June 11, 1963. This became
known as the "Stand in the Schoolhouse Door". After being confronted
by federal marshals, Deputy Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach, and
the Alabama Army National Guard, he stepped aside.

In September 1963, Wallace again attempted to stop four black students
from enrolling in four separate elementary schools in Huntsville.
After intervention by a federal court in Birmingham, the four children
were allowed to enter on September 9, becoming the first to integrate
a primary or secondary school in Alabama.[19][20]

Wallace desperately wanted to preserve segregation. In his own words:
"The President (John F. Kennedy) wants us to surrender this state to
Martin Luther King and his group of pro-communists who have instituted
these demonstrations."[21]"

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On May 30, 2012, at 11:30 AM, kirby urner wrote:
>

>> Bob Hansen:
>>

>>> If we were to name the "thing" that harmed the institution of education the most, it would have to be affirmative action.
>>
>> You're talking about affirmative action and not school integration
>> right?  Integration and affirmative action are not the same concept.

> Right. Actually, they are opposites. One is anti discriminatory and the other is pro.
>

>> Opening the schools to "minorities" also brought in women, not just
>> "non white" people.

> And again, that wasn't affirmative action. That was anti discrimination.
>

>> Is affirmative action to blame w/r to any specific minority or is it
>> just the whole idea of counter-balancing advantages (scholarships
>> etc.).

> The idea of discrimination is to blame.
>
> I am not blaming any minorities. It wasn't their fault. It was the colleges that began the practice but I think colleges were caught off guard by the rapidity that the civil rights movement succeeded and how rapidly the idea of blatant discrimination became ugly to society. In a panic to mitigate their own ugliness they started lowering the standards everywhere, hiring their own graduates, etc, etc.. They mucked things up pretty good, didn't they. You would think this would call for an investigation, like the banking crisis. I still don't get what they were thinking when they started doing it. I think they thought they were god at some point.
>
> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
5/28/12
Read Re: How Bad it Is