Replies: 3   Last Post: May 31, 2012 9:51 PM

dennis roberts

RE: [ap-stat] Final Grading

At 12:39 PM 5/31/2012, Corey Andreasen wrote:
>The thing that bothers me about systems like this is that it seems
>to give legitimacy to the totally arbitrary scale that says "90% is
>an A." There is no legitimacy to such a scale.

Corey: Grading is always a subjective activity ... no matter how you
do it ... it's that way. The fact that you have some set scale only
means it might be simpler for you to do it but it doesn't make it any
more objective.

I have challenged folks on the list before ... to tell me what a kid
in APstat can do ... who got say a B that can't be done by someone
who got a C. No one seems to be able to make such differentiations.

It's the same on the APtest ... can anyone tell me what a student who
got a 4 can go that one who got a 3 can't? NO .... can't be done. The
scores just don't have that sort of information built into the values.

Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://web.me.com/mrmathman/MrMathMan/FAQ.html
ap-stat resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com
---
To unsubscribe click here: