Topic: How Bad it Is
Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 8:02 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: How Bad it Is

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Without something that is statistics-based like affirmative action,
>

> Statistics? The issues here are much deeper than you seem to believe.
>
> Here is a little problem for you.
>
> There are 700 individuals on the faculty at Enormous State University, of
> whom exactly 210 are women. 30 members of the faculty are appointed to serve
> on a committee that is to consider a matter of some importance to all
> faculty. Someone observes that only seven members of the committee are women
> and alleges bias against women in the selection of the committee.
>
> Tell us where we should stand on this issue, Paul. (Make no assumptions
> beyond those given above.)
>
> What if only six members of the committee had been women?  five?
>
> How few women must there be before we can make a reasonable case for bias
> against women? How many before there is a case for bias against men?

This is not a problem since you are inventing a straw man.

How is it a straw man?

I put forth the quantification "without some". Think on that.

You think that you could meaningfully enforce anti-discrimination law
with NO use of mathematics? If yes, then you understand nothing.

Date Subject Author
5/28/12
Read Re: How Bad it Is
Robert Hansen