Topic: How Bad it Is
Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 8:02 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: How Bad it Is

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The idea that affirmative action is color based discrimination or
>> different sets of rules depending on skin color is a racist falsity.
>> Affirmative action is merely the idea that a proportionate amount of
>> minorities that meet the minimum standards should be allowed "in the
>> room" with the whites who meet the minimum standards.

> I see. And if you were to develop, say, heart trouble, and need to consult a
> cardiologist, would you be happy knowing that the one person you saw was one
> who met the minimum standards---but no more---for board certification? What
> if you knew of other cardiologists who were willing to take your case but
> whose qualifications far exceeded the minimum standards?

First, with respect to doctors - and I know since I grew up in a medical family and still have family members who are doctors - you won't know whether they "far exceeded the minimum standards" on the exams unless you asked them for written proof as to their their scores on the exams. Good luck on that one - they will almost all tell you to
get lost, including all of the ones who "far exceeded the minimum standards" on the exams. And how do you know whether one "far exceeds the minimum standards" when they got certified? Where they graduated from? That guarantees nothing. And so on. By the way: Do you go around showing such as your college transcripts to everyone who demands them of you who might want to hire you as an independent contractor for some job? I thought not. Besides, if you are not on traditional Medicare that allows you to choose any doctor you want in the US if he/she will have you and you instead have some sort of private plan that limits your choice of doctors, then you have to take what you can
get within that plan anyway.

Take what I said to all other areas of employment, whether it be blue collar or white collar professions. All you're really going to know is whether they meet various certifications or whatever and what experience they have had. Good luck on getting them to provide proof in writing in detail what their scores were or whatever - they almost all will tell you to forget it including the ones that scored high on the tests.

Of course, if you buy the racist BS about what affirmative action is and is not, then you'll stay away from the those certain minorities since you believe that they are inferior. Since you said what you said above relating to affirmative action, one wonders.

Finally, what you said above negates nothing as to what I said affirmative action is and what it is not - it is not the racist falsity I denounced above.

On top of that I again say that without something that is
statistics-based like affirmative action, it is utterly impossible to meaningfully enforce anti-discrimination laws, and therefore its absence will pretty much give the green light to all those closet (or otherwise) bigots who control the entrance to "the room", meaning they
will deny entrance to more and more qualified non-whites, and their good old days of not having to see non-whites "in the room" will come closer and closer to again becoming a reality.

Date Subject Author
5/28/12
Read Re: How Bad it Is
Robert Hansen