Topic: How Bad it Is
Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 8:02 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: How Bad it Is

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> First, with respect to doctors - and I know since I grew up in a
>> medical family and still have family members who are doctors - you
>> won't know whether they "far exceeded the minimum standards" on the
>> exams unless you asked them for written proof as to their their scores
>> on the exams.

> Oh, dear. I didn't ask you what you would know.
>
> I asked you what you would prefer.

That's a cop out. Since we can prefer lots of things we could never
have, asking someone what they prefer - if that question is to be
meaningful - is to apply to what they could have. And I told you that
in this real world of ours, most people simply do not have the option
to have what you put forth.

And what I said what this: "The idea that affirmative action is color
based discrimination or different sets of rules depending on skin
color is a racist falsity. Affirmative action is merely the idea that
a proportionate amount or minorities that meet the minimum standards
should be allowed "in the room" with the whites who meet the minimum
standards."

And you came back with a non sequitur that also was elitist from the
commoner's perspective, asking what one would prefer from set of
choices not available to the common folk.

Date Subject Author
5/28/12
Read Re: How Bad it Is
Robert Hansen