Topic: How Bad it Is
Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 8:02 PM

Louis Talman

Re: How Bad it Is
att1.html (1.8 K)

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> First, with respect to doctors - and I know since I grew up in a
> medical family and still have family members who are doctors - you
> won't know whether they "far exceeded the minimum standards" on the
> exams unless you asked them for written proof as to their their scores
> on the exams.

Oh, dear. I didn't ask you what you would know.

I asked you what you would prefer.

That's a different question. Really. Altogether different.

I believe your response is an example of what's called "begging the
question". But you're the one who advertises yourself as an expert in such
matters, and I'm sure you'll beg the question again by telling me if I'm
wrong about that.

Moreover, you could know a good bit more than you suggest. (Did you
purposely minimize what one could learn?) You talk to people in the medical
community (which, as someone who grew up in a medical family, you know very
well how to do), and you find out who's good and who's merely minimally
competent. I always do that when I pick a doc. (My wife's a pediatrician.
And more than minimally competent---though I didn't choose her for that
reason.)

--Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

<http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>