Topic: How Bad it Is
Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 8:02 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: How Bad it Is
att1.html (3.5 K)

It does work this way. What you don't understand is that market conditions set the minimum standards, not employers. If the market determines that a particular job is profitable then it will also determine at what skill level it is profitable. Take music for example. There is demand for music, but not just any level of music. I mean, you can't just decide you want to be a musician and start banging on a tin can and expect people to pay you. All skill based jobs are like this, that is what makes them competitive. So if the market can support 1000 musicians at a certain level of skill then there will probably be a pool of say 1500 candidates competing for those positions. And if you are in that pool, regardless of color, you have a shot. The fact that some minorities are less represented and some minorities more represented is because of skill, not because of discrimination in that pool of 1500 candidates. I don't know of anyone that turns down a qualified candidate based on something so ancient and stupid as skin color. It's hard enough finding qualified people than to do something so stupid. You are out of touch with the times.

What you are suggesting is that the minimum standards should be arbitrarily lowered but that won't change the demand pool. So now, instead of 1500 candidates vying for 1000 jobs, you have 10,000 candidates vying for 1000 jobs. But that changes nothing. Mathematically speaking, after all the interviews and recitals, it will still reduce down to those original 1500 candidates at the top. And now you have 8,500 people with a music degree and no job. The only way you can (mathematically) make what you are suggesting work is to change the probability function from one that favors skill to one that is random. Then if there were 1000 blacks in your pool of 10,000, you would expect 100 to get the job. But now you run into the problem that the market won't support 1000 randomly picked musicians. It demands the 1000 best musicians. Your next option is to have two probability functions, one for blacks and one for everyone else. But that is discrimination, and affirmative action.

No one denies that affirmative action is indeed discrimination, except for you. It's just a matter of how much and how long can we discriminate, not unlike it was a matter of how long could segregation have actually lasted.

Bob Hansen

On Jun 2, 2012, at 4:24 AM, Paul Tanner wrote:

> Affirmative action is merely the idea that
> a proportionate amount or minorities that meet the minimum standards
> should be allowed "in the room" with the whites who meet the minimum
> standards."

Date Subject Author
5/28/12
Read Re: How Bad it Is