Topic: Pathological Self-Reference and the Halting Problem [was:The
empty string as a code]

Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 2, 2012 5:20 PM

Graham Cooper

Re: Pathological Self-Reference and the Halting Problem [was:The
empty string as a code]

On Jun 2, 10:28 pm, Daryl McCullough <stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> On Friday, June 1, 2012 11:36:53 PM UTC-4, Peter Olcott wrote:
> > What seems to be nonsense about what I am saying?
>
> Let's go through it again. You said that if M is constructed
> from H via
>
> M(x) : if H(x,x) = false, then halt; otherwise loop.

HALT IS NOT REFLEXIVE - FOR OBVIOUS REASONS

> Then the input (M,M) to H is ill-formed. I gave a
> counterexample: when H(x,y) is the program
>
> H(x,y) : if x=0 and y=0 then return true; otherwise, return false
>
> The existence of a counter-example shows that your claim is
> false.

Nope! It shows you don't know how to specify the domain of a
function.

Herc