The Math Forum

Topic: Grading Graphing Questions
Replies: 8   Last Post: Jun 4, 2012 9:10 PM

JDBRAUNSTN@aol.com

Re: Grading Graphing Questions

I am a retired HS math teacher, and recall that the first consideration
was consistency, so we made up a grading key for each question to be
used by anyone grading the question. If the person got the answer
correct, plotted the graph, labelled axes correctly, and showed the
correct points of intersection, that might be considered to be
appropriate work shown, to get full credit. If the student showed
everything correctly that was specifically requested, I would accept
that as acceptable. Using a calculator on a Regents exam may show the
student a lot of data that he may not realize some teachers would like
to see on the exam paper. There are differences of opinion among
teachers that used to be rectified when regrading papers which were
close to passing. Now I would be asgenerous as possible if the student
has nothing wrong in his answer, gets all the required answers correct,
and uses a mathematically acceptable approach..