Topic: Some observations on the Peano's Axioms
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jun 13, 2012 10:18 AM

Bill Taylor

Re: Some observations on the Peano's Axioms

On Jun 12, 9:07 am, Ken Pledger <ken.pled...@vuw.ac.nz> wrote:

> > ....  Children should
> > not memorize addition and multiplication tables, but should
> > construct them ....

>    Both.

Sensible fellow!

> After reaching an understanding that  5 + 8  really is 13,
> it's highly valuable to memorize it so that the stimulus "5 + 8" evokes
> the instant response "13".
>
>    But I doubt whether Herman will ever agree with that.

It seems unlikely. He must have had a really hard time
in early grade school. He's one of those educators,
(as a colleague of mine mourned), who is quite happy
that the kids know that 3 apples costing 8 cents each
costs the same as 8 apples costing 3 cents each, but
they don't know how much it costs!

-- Withering William

** The math is done right, but is the right math done?