Topic: #34 Algebra Regents
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jun 21, 2012 4:00 PM

Katherine Cook

RE: #34 Algebra Regents
att1.html (6.8 K)

We just called the hotline and were told that we have to take a point off. This would be such a sad way for a kid to get a 64. We were told on the phone that "teachers should know the difference between roots and x-intercepts and that the roots are only the x-values" Considering that the question says "using the graph" it just seems like a really unfair trick to take a point off for the students who did everything mathematically correct on a 3 point question but get 33% of the credit taken off because of a technicality.

We would like to encourage everyone to call about this. The number is 518-474-5900. Please call and voice your opinion. We need to be advocates for our students.

Thanks,
Katie Cook
Fayetteville-Manlius CSD
Manlius, NY 13104
(315) 692-1951

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Samis, Karen S
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 8:36 AM
To: <nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Cc: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: #34 Algebra Regents

We also can't believe they are taking off a point because answer is an
Ordered
Pair

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 15, 2012, at 8:31 AM, "Katherine Cook" <kcook@fmschools.org<mailto:kcook@fmschools.org>> wrote:
We are about to call SED 518-474-5900 about the rubric on #34. The rubric says to take one point off if they list the roots as an ordered pair. We disagree. Roots of a parabola are the x-intercepts. Why can't they be written as an ordered pair? Especially since the question requires students to do the graph.
What are other people's thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Katie Cook
Fayetteville-Manlius CSD
Manlius, NY 13104