Topic: #34 Algebra Regents
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jun 21, 2012 4:00 PM

Katherine Cook

RE: #34 Algebra Regents
att1.html (7.5 K)

We understand what is technically mathematically correct, but the issue is, is it worth taking 33% of the credit off on this question because of that concept on an Algebra 1 exam?

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Kathleen Curtis
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 8:49 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: #34 Algebra Regents

Because there is no y in the equation they are asked to solve, the answers should not be in ordered pairs.

We were grumpy about a similar question a few years ago, but there is no y in the quadratic equation. So mathematically the answer should not be an ordered pair.

SED is consistent on their answer from years past.

Sincerely,

Kathy C